Oh Make Me Over

Saturday, May 21, 2011




Hat: TJ Maxx, $10
T-shirt: Fruit of the Loom brand via Big Lots, $5 for 3-pack
Necklace: secondhand chain from yard sale ($2), pocketwatch from eBay ($9)
Watch: Roxy brand, gift
Skirt: Old Navy, $15
Sandals: Downeast Outfitters, $12


You know, it's interesting what stays in a lady's makeup bag over time. I was getting ready this morning and came across a tube of lipstick that I bought back in 2005 (everyone say it with me: ewwww). It's this bright red from CoverGirl, and I picked it up for a Halloween costume. Most unflattering shade in the world for me, but for whatever reason, I've kept it around.

Finding this old lipstick felt like a little encouragement to go through my makeup bag and get rid of what no longer belongs, and doing that inspired me to share the products that I love and use all the time. Behold:


There's some good stuff here. Let's take it from the top.


St. Ives Apricot Scrub (any variety will do; this is the Blemish and Blackhead Control) -- using this is like giving my face a massage with a cat tongue that smells good. My skin is pretty dry, so exfoliating is a once or twice a week thing.

Clean & Clear Morning Burst Skin Brightening Facial Cleanser -- I use this morning and night.


Pond's Dry Skin Cream (my tub is almost empty!) -- I haven't tried many moisturizers, so I don't know how this one measures up, but I like it fine. I use a light layer in the morning before I put on any makeup, then I use a heaver layer before I go to bed.

Clean & Clear Persa-Gel 10 -- I picked this up at a grocery store last year to fight some persistent acne. It's okay.


Maybelline Fit Me Blush in Light Rose -- This is the first blush I've ever used, and I've only had it for a week or so. I. LOVE. IT. But that might say more about the concept of blush than this product in particular.

Maybelline Fit Me Foundation 120 -- I haven't ever used a foundation that I like more than this. Highly recommended.

Almay Smart Shade Concealer in Light -- The area under my eyes is in need of concealer most days, and I have really liked this brand. It claims to magically adjust to the right shade for your skin, which I'm not sure I believe, but it does look all right and lasts through the day.


Lancome Eye Shadow in Sensational Effects (aren't makeup names cool?) -- I don't use this very often, but it was free with a lipstick purchase. What's nice are these gold and pink shades that will be nice in the summertime.

Almay Intense I-Color Powder Shadow for Greens (meaning, for green eyes) -- This is the eye shadow I use every day, in some combination. Using that light pink shade is easy and always looks subtly good, and the other two are a bit more dramatic. Compared to other eye shadows I've used, it has good staying power through the day.

CoverGirl Eye Enhancers in Turquoise Tempest -- I'll be honest with you: this color does not look very good on me. But I still try to make it work sometimes, and that's why it stays in the bag.

Eyelash curler, tweezers, and eye shadow brush. Nothin' special.


Lancome Definicils High Definition Macara in Black -- This is the best mascara I've used, and I got it free with a lipstick purchase, so I am all about it. Great definition.

Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner in Navy -- This was such a great eyeliner that I'm reluctant to let it go even though it's pretty tough to get any more use out of this particular pencil. I should just buy a new one.

Wet n Wild Coloricon in Charcoal -- I use a light layer of this pretty much every day, so it comes out looking gray rather than black (which is how I like it).

Avon Smooth Over Eye Definer in Dark Brown -- I love having an Avon lady for my mom. This is a really great shade for me, and it goes on smooth.

Almay Bright Eyes Liner in Cocoa & Pearl -- This was a good eyeliner, but the pencil's too old now. Another one to put on my shopping list. But I'm throwing this one away.

Rimmel Professional Eyebrow Pencil in Hazel -- Thanks to some overzealous, ill-advised eyebrow tweezing in my younger years, my eyebrows are not all that I might hope (who's with me on this?). I've used this eyebrow pencil a handful of times; sometimes it works and sometimes it looks silly. I think that's more to do with my application than anything. Anyhow, the color does last and doesn't smear, and the brush on the lid is helpful, so I recommend it.


Dr. Pepper Lip Smacker -- I will still be using this stuff when I'm 80, provided that Bonne Bell is still making it. Smells good, feels good, gives a little color, fits in your pocket, and survives the washer/dryer with ease.

Avon Sweet as a Kiss Lip Balm in Deep Berry -- I keep this tube around to smooth and even out my lipstick application, and it works really well.

Avon Ultra Color Rich Lipstick in Rose 24k -- This lipstick claims to have real gold in it. It's pleasantly pink and feels very moisturizing (not sticky), so I use it pretty frequently.

CoverGirl Lipstick in Classic Red -- This was the old tube of lipstick I referred to earlier. It's hardly used, but for good reason. I really don't like it. Into the trash it shall go.

FLIRT! brand Lipstick in Wicked (purchased at Kohl's) -- Now THIS is a red lipstick I like. The color's great, but the downside is that it starts to fade pretty quickly, so you end up with a rim of red around the edge of your lips. And that is not what you want. Anyway, I only use this rarely and when I can bring the tube along with me for touch-ups.

Maybelline Super Stay Lipcolor in 744 -- This one was tough to get the hang of (you have to dab the color on gingerly, wait for it to dry without touching it, and then apply the conditioning balm on top), but I love the color. It can get a little sticky, though, so this is more for pictures than practical, daily use.

Lancome L'Absolu Rouge Lipstick in Tulipwood -- I was running errands one day and decided it was IMPERATIVE that I find the perfect lipstick. I drove to the mall and hit the Lancome counter in Macy's. Ten minutes later, I came out with this Tulipwood. It's really, really good.

***

Going through this list of beauty products, I admit that I feel a little sheepish. Is this what I'm reduced to, this list of products that I evidently need to use? No, but is this what's important? Well, kind of. It's not what's most important or even close to that, but I think there's meaning in our daily rituals and in our incidental possessions. Material culture plays a role in deciphering history and in sharing the reality of our lives. Maybe it's stupid or lame to list and elaborate on my makeup. That's a maybe. But you know what's certain? I would love to come across some list like this from any of my female relatives, any of my ladyfriends. I'm interested in this junk. And if I care about myself in the way I care about these other women in my life -- and I do -- then I'll probably love to come across this list of my own one day.

Anyway, just some thoughts on the subject.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you about material culture and I enjoyed reading this despite the fact that I am not much of a make-up wearer (in fact, foundation and concealer are two different things?! what the... I had no idea. Please explain :) I like to know a lot of little details about people's lives even on subjects that I don't have a particular personal interest in. Next I'll be looking for the full-on make-up tutorial so I understand the difference between some of these products :)

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut