I've Got a New Attitude

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Patterned dress: secondhand Ann Taylor brand, $13 from thrift store
White dress: secondhand H&M brand, free from a friend
Belt: secondhand, $2 from thrift store
Tights: Forever 21, $1.50
Heels: secondhand Classiques Enter, $5 from thrift store

Between the white tights, layered dresses, barrettes, and navy/white color scheme, I felt like a Catholic schoolgirl today. On the bright side, I really love this patterned sheath dress and was excited to bust it out for the first time. Expect to see this one worn in some different incarnations over the next little while ...

And on THAT note, I have some bloggy-blog news. I've been really unmotivated lately to take outfit pictures and post them, which is a shame, since that's the basic goal of keeping this blog in the first place. There are lots of reasons why this is the case; some of them are trivial and some of them are serious, but after taking account of all of them, I've decided that I do want to continue with the blog and make it better. One improvement I'm making is to implement a new project that will help me define my personal style and take advantage of my limited-but-definitely-adequate wardrobe. While doing the 30x30 challenge was difficult in some ways, it definitely helped me feel excited about blogging, and I'm thinking that working on a new, ongoing project will have a similar effect.

Here are the rules of this project: at the beginning of each week, I'll introduce a new piece of clothing (or pair of shoes). I will then proceed to wear that item in at least five different outfits over the course of that week. Some cool cats call this sort of thing "remixing," and I'm cool enough to join them. I'm calling this The Weeklong Remix.


I got the idea for this project from a marketing image put out by Shade Clothing a few years ago.


Looking at this, I'm struck by how the shirt hasn't just been used in seven super-similar outfits; each look feels very individual and different. Behold the wonder of a basic button-up shirt (something I don't actually own, now that I think of it), and behold the wonder of remixing.

This week, I'm going for my navy-print Ann Taylor sheath dress. I'm in for one classed-up, layer-riffic week. The first look is all wrapped up and tied with a bow (or a belt).

 Sheath Dress Remix #1:

See also:
Sheath Dress Remix #2
Sheath Dress Remix #3
Sheath Dress Remix #4
Sheath Dress Remix #5

(And PS: if you think it's gross that I'm wearing the same article of clothing five times in a week, tough nuggets. Guess what else? I don't wash my hair everyday, and when I'm camping, I don't even bother with deodorant. I've got my grossness. I'm at peace with that.)

13 comments:

  1. Who washes their hair everyday? I think this is a brilliant idea! I thought about doing remixing features, but not 1 item for 1 week. Can't wait to see what you put together.

    North Meets South

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea!! I can't wait to see all the ways you wear it.

    I'm gross too...I don't even shower when I'm camping...I'll maybe have a "bath" in the lake...but shaving is not an option!

    Natasha ~ Required2BeInspired

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea. Should make for a very interesting week. I'll be tuning in to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I can't wait to see what you come up with. :) Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime in the future. Oh and I don't think it's gross at all! After all, it's not like you're working out in these clothes and then re-wearing them or anything.

    I LOVE those shoes! They are so bright and colorful and really pop in your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love remixing, and you look fantastic - white tights are sadly underrated, in my opinion, and the red shoes are lovely. I read a great article about a stylist who wore the same dress for a month (though she had two for washing purposes) - I loved what she came up with. I'll see if I can find it and email it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I think I'll have to get up the gumption to try it. Now what should I chose??!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful idea! I can't wait to see what you come up with. :) That dress is worth wearing all week long, I'll tell you what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the remix idea! I think readers really enjoy seeing how items can be worn different ways(as opposed to seeing new outfits on every post- that's not realistic!) I'll definitely be tuning in!

    Also, cannot believe you thrifted those shoes. They are the most wonderful shade of red. High five!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous idea! I was always quite taken with the Uniform Project when it was done! I would totally use a dress for a week remix.
    http://www.theuniformproject.com/#!pilots

    Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
    Otis and James accessory giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool idea! I just wanted to stop by and thank-you for the lovely comment you left in regards to my stressing out via my blog. I loved your advice and you are so right, I need to live in the moment and be happy with where I am right now. I often need to be told to slow down and not plan too far ahead. Thanks for reminding me of that and calming me down a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do look like a school girl but a very fashionable hot one. Great idea for your blog I will be here waiting for your posts.
    Cheers,
    Bre

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't been following you before, but I will be now. Can't wait to see what you do with this weeklong remix... love you girls brave enough to jump into these tough tasks with no (little?) fear! Day 1? Two thumbs up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness, you are my new favorite blog. :) I come by way of a thrifty LA life (http://www.thriftylalife.com/) and am so interested in this weeklong remix! What a great idea and I'm loving all your looks! (And your honesty!) Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut