Links: January 1st-8th, 2012

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Here are links to some of the online sights that have mattered most to me this week:

A woman dancing in the laundromat. She's so committed!



TED talk from Sarah Kay about spoken word poetry, including a poem called "If I Should Have A Daughter."



Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn"



"Mommy, they are just like me" -- Reflections from a mom about her young son's absolute love for Blaine and Kurt from Glee.

Speaking of Glee: I don't watch the show much anymore, but I came across a recent clip that blew me away. It's a mashup of the songs "Someone Like You" and "Rumor Has It," both by Adele.

Grist article about natural self-bias and the seven deadly sins.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt interview -- how adorable and killer-cool is he?



"What movie made you cry?"-- answered by several amazing actors.



Information on a mass New Year's Resolution to temporarily give up Facebook.

Why having teenagers who talk back can have its plus sides. (This stood out to me because I never talked back to my parents, and incidentally, I am pretty terrible at handling tense conversations with anyone in the world. Not totally sure how the two are related, but they probably are, even if it's just because they both say something about my personality.)

A post at Feminist Mormon Housewives on unions, women, and the Occupy movement.

Some (very respectful, totally faithful) reflections on the Mormon endowment ceremony, from someone who has struggled to appreciate and enjoy it. I can relate to her position, and I really benefited from her words.

Nothing too groundbreaking, but the description of these fake and funny resolutions did make me laugh aloud.

A reflection on 2011 from "Where Did U Get That?" style blogger Karen. Very sincere and interesting to watch.

"Something Else I Don't Know" from BYU professor and philosopher James Faulconer, about women's exclusion from priesthood-holding in the Mormon church.

Some thoughts from a Christian dad on how to communicate to his daughter that her value doesn't come from looks or smarts or accomplishments or morality, but from the divine.

Really touching video on the adoption and "baby wedding day" of a girl named Coco.

A Young Men's leader talks about how modesty is applied to young men, with thoughts about what that says for how it should be applied to young women. (Some really valuable comments on this post, as well.)

Captain Awkward writes a really awesome advice column, with heavy emphasis on self-respect, honest communication, and clear boundaries. I really dug this post of hers about how to handle a mom who (no joke) disowned her daughter on Christmas Day (for what it sounds like were really dumb reasons).

This post at Segullah about a spirited night an American family spent with a Maasai community.

And finally, this video has gotten a lot of viral love lately (yuck, that doesn't sound good), so you may have seen it already. But I don't care -- watch it again. This is "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye and Kimber. Pretty stellar.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that was quite a Link-a-Palooza! It took me a couple days to get through it all! But I wanted to comment on a link you didn't post (awkward??). In the House of the Lord blog post, did you click on the "Hearken" link provided within the text to the Exponent blog? Well, I find "Spunky's" post to be pretty awesome. It gave me a lot to think about, since I didn't know that the 'bride' hearkening to the 'bridegroom' was always symbolic of the Church and Christ until it was changed to be literal by Paul. It got me to thinking about the post you wrote on that Sunday school lesson about Paul too (that just grinds my gears). So I guess my thoughts right now is, what the hell is wrong with Paul!?
    Anyways, I love blog posts and all, but I was wondering if you know of any books by those who have gone through scripture and dissected all of its symbolism? Especially as it concerns feminism? I'd love to read more, by actual scholarly people, but I don't know how I'd find said book except by word of mouth.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut