Toilet?

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Can I tell you something? My schedule is out of whack. I went to bed at 2:00 AM last night, and I didn't get ready today until 4:30 PM.

Woo, I feel better. It's good to get that off my chest.

Wooden "S" necklace: gift from mom
White sweater-tee: Chelsea Place brand, hand-me-down from mom
Peruvian belt: secondhand from Urban Renewal, $12
Turquoise ring: Urban Renewal, $11
Red dress (worn as skirt): H&M brand, $15 (secondhand from Urban Renewal)
Cognac leather boots: Christmas present from mom (from Target.com)

So apparently (and accidentally), this outfit is a tribute to my mom and to my favorite consignment shop in the world -- Urban Renewal, located in my hometown of St. George, Utah. You want to go to there, trust me.

And YES, that is a toilet on the ground. I don't know who put it there, but I'm going to assume that it's a piece of activist art. It makes some kind of political statement. So put on your artsy-fartsy hat and ponder the meaning for a moment ...

On an entirely different note, Cassie from Peachy Keen "tagged" me, so I guess I'm it. Here are:

Seven Things About My Childhood

1. I had an imaginary friend in the 1st Grade. Her name was Grandma Judy, and I imagined her as a Japanese woman who took care of me the way grandmas do. I don't think I ever interacted with her or invited her to tea parties or anything; I just made up stories about her and then told the stories as though they were real.

2. As a little girl, my best friends were my cousins, Kaylee and Andrea. Kaylee lived down the street from me, and we'd always play around on bikes and swingsets, visit the family farm, etc. Andrea lived in California and came to visit for about a month every summer. I think she lived in the Sacramento area, and I was convinced that she was totally cool because she was from California (and everything about California is totally cool). Andrea was also the one who introduced me to the Spice Girls (Ginger Spice was her fave).

3. I played the violin for three years, from 4th through 7th grade. I eventually quit because I didn't like the orchestra teacher at the middle school. I really wish I'd kept it up, but my mom was smart to let me make my own decision about that.

4. When I was 14, I inexplicably went to this total hippie camp called PeaceTrees for ten days. I say "inexplicably" because I still don't know why my parents wanted me to go -- it's really not their style. Regardless, I had a blast and learned all about service, animal activism, environmentalism, conflict resolution, peacekeeping, and living in the wilderness for a week and a half. I actually think it was really formative for me in terms of how I view the world and the kind of person I want to be.

5. In middle school, I painted my fingernails a different color approximately every day.

6. I was a theater kid in high school and loved to write, direct, and act. However, I always dreamed of switching gears completely and joining the drill team. The girls on the drill team were amazing, or at least I thought so. Too bad I wasn't flexible or coordinated enough to even try out!

7. Probably around 12 or 13, I decided that I didn't want to have my first kiss until I was done with high school. It just seemed like a good idea. As fate would have it, my first kiss came along THE NIGHT IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING GRADUATION DAY, so I only barely achieved my goal. It was the most perfect first kiss story ever, I have to say. And I was glad I waited around for it. (Turned out the kid was totally romancing one of my closest girlfriends at the same time! Rude! =)

***
Now you know a little more about me. Any imaginary friend or first kiss stories you'd like to share? Do it. Do it.

4 comments:

  1. Haha..that hippy camp thing is hilarious! I LOVE the toilet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your imaginary friend was a Japanese grandma, haha. That and the fact that you were a theater kid! I adore musical theater and I played in the Pit Orchestra for Fiddler on the Roof and the Pajama Game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment! LOOOVE that Ryan Gosling site. Freaking hilarious.

    Kayla
    Freckles in April

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the red skirt... it's so beautiful.... overall love ur outfit alot... if you have time stop by my blog @ http://mylyfe-mystory.blogspot.com/

    Anyways take care and have a g8 weekend =)

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut