Netflix Finds

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Our little household subscribed to Netflix in August, and when I gifted my husband with a Wii for Christmas, a small part of me was looking forward to watching movies instantly with that same Netflix subscription. Holy cow! Turns out that Netflix for Wii is one of the greatest pointless inventions of all time, and here are some reasons why.

24

Okay. I'm a little late to the party on this one. But seriously, have you seen seasons 1-3 of 24? They are jaw-dropping with intensity. Kiefer Sutherland has one level while playing Jack Bauer, and that level is "intense." I hopped on YouTube a few days ago, hoping to find a video compilation of all the times Jack says, "We're running out of time," but, alas, it doesn't exist. I found these compilation videos instead: Jack asking where stuff is, and Tony saying "All right." Both are excellent.




Weeds

As a series, Weeds is seriously depressing. Not recommended as a pick-me-up. If you want lighthearted and cheeky, just watch the opening credits. This great tune, called "Little Boxes," is so incredibly catchy that my husband and I could not stop singing it last week at church. And we were like, "Is it bad that we're at church, singing a song from a show about dealing drugs?" I've decided not to feel guilty. Anyhow, it gets covered by lots of great artists through the seasons, but here's the original (and my personal favorite) by Malvina Reynolds.



TiMER

GREAT romantic comedy. This lead actress, Emma Caulfield - I've never heard of her before, but she is utterly adorable. The concept is sweet, but they handle it in a not-overly-cheesy way, and also the main love interest is very attractive, and ALSO this movie makes me wish yet again that I had a sister! So, as you can see, there's a lot to enjoy. Definitely recommend this one to lovers and would-be-lovers everywhere (though the ending was ... well, if you watch it, tell me what you think of the ending. I'm still trying to decide if I liked it).


Steel Magnolias

This movie is not a new addition to my life. I've watched it twenty or fifty times over the years, and I love it with every fiber of my being. My mom and I would watch it together and laugh prematurely at our favorite lines ("Oh, Sammy's so confused he don't know whether to scratch his watch or wind his butt"). Now, thanks to Netflix for Wii, I can watch these sassy Southern dames anytime I want. I can also cry when M'Lynn has an emotional breakdown (and, yes, I always cry at that part). Here's a favorite scene, totally indicative of the movie's overall vibe. Can I live in Louisiana and have girl talk at Dolly Parton's at-home salon? Because I really want to.

2 comments:

  1. We are obsessed with watching Netflix instantly through the Xbox. Enjoy!

    xoxo
    Stacey Kay
    “Runway Inspiration, Vintage Decoration”
    www.GoodwillHuntingg.com
    Women’s Fashion Examiner-Cleveland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steel Magnolias is my number one most cried at movie. I cry so hard during the scene at the cemetery that I should ban myself from ever watching it, but I still love that movie.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut