Things I Can't Part With

Monday, January 24, 2011

Earrings: Wal-Mart, $3
Cut-off sweatshirt: hand-me-down from mom
Hoodie: Ezekiel brand via Ross, $25 (2005)
Green camisole: Downeast Outfitters, $10
Pants: Banana Republic Outlet, $17 (2008)
Socks: Puma brand via TJ Maxx, $4 for 3-pack
Shoes: secondhand at Urban Renewal, $12

Pants again! YAAAAY! I was plenty anxious to wear something today that wasn't a skirt or a dress, but when I got up this morning, my thoughts weren't really on pants. Inexplicably, this old cutoff sweatshirt from my mom really stood out, and my whole outfit evolved from it. She originally had this sweatshirt as a teenager, and when it got stained somehow, she cut off the sleeves, stitched on this adorable cartoon couple, and called it good. Many years later, she offered it to me. Regardless of how my body changes and how poorly it fits in the future, I'll never, ever get rid of it.

These pants are an oddity in my closet. They don't really fit me all that well, and the way they sit on my waist/hips is really unflattering (thus the long camisole covering the waistband), but I guess I bought them because gray pants seemed practical and they were a good price. What do you do with items like that, that seem so functional but just don't work? I'm tempted to donate these pants to a thrift store, but I also worry that I'll have some random day when I really need gray pants. (Because those days are so common, right?)

How would you style these pants? Give me some good pointers, and you might just save these babies from the charitable-donation-bag-of-doom.

5 comments:

  1. Nice way to do casual. You look great.

    xoxo
    Stacey Kay
    “Runway Inspiration, Vintage Decoration”
    www.GoodwillHuntingg.com
    Women’s Fashion Examiner-Cleveland

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love all the fun colors in this outfit! you should totally link it up to my Color Brigade feature that starts up tomorrow on my blog!

    and as for pants that are too big -- try washing them in hot water and drying them in extra hot heat. it always does the trick for me to shrink up my pants. :)

    cute and little
    come enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across your blog. . . LOVE IT! I read your love story with your husband . . . so cute! If an item in my closet is functional, but doesn't work I get rid of it.

    Hugs,
    http://achameleonscloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun use of colors! And I love gray pants, I think they're such a great staple to have in your wardrobe!

    Kristine. Or Polly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I like the grey pants and usually wear them with a crisp white shirt and a splash of colour. If the fit is getting you down, I'd alter them to tailor them to you...otherwise chances are you won't feel like wearing them regardless (this happens to me ALL the time). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut