30x30: Bookworm

Thursday, February 24, 2011

30x30 ITEMS
Blazer: Class Club brand (secondhand), $10
Pinstripe trousers: Kohl's, $30
Boots: vintage Marc Alpert brand via Etsy, $38

ACCESSORIES REPORT
Scarf: secondhand, $4
Bracelet: birthday present from my bro and his lady-friend (thanks, team!)

Here's a secret from my bag of tricks: if you're sick of all your shirts, just stuff a scarf inside a jacket and call that a shirt. Very simple.

I spent about an hour looking for a spot to take my pictures today. Walked a lot, got a blister. My new camera allowed me to venture inside a dark abandoned shed, right next to the yard where I saw those deer. And guess what? The deer were back! There were four this time instead of seven, but still. Any day when you hang out with deer is a good day.

So, I don't know about y'all, but I sometimes get overwhelmed by the number of new blog posts that show up in my reader each day. I have to periodically go through and clean out my subscriptions, but even still, it's a lot to keep up with. I was feeling burnt out on all my online reads today, so I ventured forth to the local library in order to read the printed word. Let's all do it. Books are nice. Here's what I picked up:


I'm constantly coming across quotes from both Rilke and Jung that make me exclaim, "That is totally brilliant!" The universe is clearly telling me that I should read up on both these fellows.

And, bonus, this was in my mailbox:


My first issue of The Sun Magazine, which releases new fiction/essays/poems on a monthly basis. I subscribed a few weeks ago and am looking forward to enjoying each month's newness.

Did y'all know that I was an English major in college? I was. I graduated in 2009 and, regrettably, I haven't maintained the daily connection with literature that I used to have. That absence doesn't make me mad or sad, really; it's just something I'd like to change moving forward. As much as I want to be a writer and hope to develop that talent, it's more important to me that I am and will remain a reader.

Quick question: do you have a favorite book (or maybe two or three favorites)? My #1 is The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis. Share yours, if you've got one.

4 comments:

  1. The Great Divorce has long been my favorite work of C.S. Lewis' without exception. My favorite book of all-time? My favorite in what way? It's impossible to figure that one out because for me the question is so contextual.

    I didn't know you were an English major. Yet another connection. Also, I've been meaning to ask, what thrift stores around here do you go to? We should go together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the outfit! Rilke and Jung? Does it get any better than those two? I say, no it doesn't. You're a lady of fine tastes all across the board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was gonna say, hey, I just heard Jen talking about "The Great Divorce" but she beat me to it. I feel that in some small way I helped guide you to the Rilke book because one of the quotes is on my fridge. Phew, I've done a good deed for the day :)

    I totally hear on the Google Reader thing; it creates altogether too much angst for me, but I could never live without it. In the fiction realm, I would point to Beloved and Crime and Punishment as favorites. But I'm really a non-fiction junkie and I don't think I could ever choose there -- it would be like choosing between my own children (which sounds hard, right?!).

    P.S. I wrote a moderately long comment to your playlist post and it got deleted because of this stupid filter quirk on our computer. And I was too tired to recreate it because it was the middle of the night, but I should say that I was having a very tough night and Sister Hazel cheered. Perhaps I'll go listen again now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you did with that scarf! Adding it to my own bag of tricks to make it through this remix ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut