LOVE WEEK: Favorite Love Songs

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It's Day 1 of LOVE WEEK! Read more here.

Today's invitation is to share favorite love songs. My all-time most preferred in this category is by a now-defunct band called Hurts to Purr, and I never would have known about it at all were it not for Pandora Radio. Now, the band broke up before these newfangled music videos became all the rage, so the best approximation (and by "best," I mean "cheesiest") I could find was this collage video on YouTube.


"Matinee" by Hurts to Purr

This isn't a song that's special to me because of any particular relationship or memory; the lyrics themselves just feel so honest to what it feels like when you first fall in love. You think about the person frequently with this kind of quiet excitement that just makes everything in life beautiful, including the old ladies and the ushers in a movie theater. "I miss your hand on my knee; what a wonderful weight ... I'll call you later, tell you what the movie was about, and you'll laugh and ask why I went alone, and I'll lie and say I thought everybody'd already seen that one. But you would have gone. You would have gone."

Two bonus songs:


"How I Feel" by Martina McBride (I'm continuing with the theme of strange collage videos. This one features pictures that alternate between strangely scandalous and overly-literal. The best is the one with the courageous lions.)


"Who Are We Fooling" by Brooke Fraser (Not a collage video, but still. I just heard this song for the first time yesterday and love how it turns from depressing to uplifting almost without you noticing the change.)

So, fair one, what's your favorite love song?

2 comments:

  1. Favorite love song, that's a tough one. I think it would have to be Weezer Always since it was our wedding song

    Write it in Lipstick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great songs! My favorite is "Stay With You" by John Legend!

    www.simple-subtle-style.com

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut