30x30: Artsy Fartsy

Monday, February 28, 2011

30x30 ITEMS
Sequin cardigan: gift from mom
Hippie shirt: thrifted, $5
Jeans: Guess brand via Buckle, $92
Wedges: Ross, $7

ACCESSORIES REPORT
Headband: a grocery store, most likely
Earrings: Man in the Moon Antiques (Provo, UT), $4
Turquoise ring: Urban Renewal (St. George, UT), $11
Socks: TJ Maxx, $5 for 3-pack

I LEFT THE HOUSE TODAY! Is everyone impressed? I think I might be getting over this sickness (for reals, this time).

Today, I learned about a really cool new website (via another really cool website - these things just feed off each other). You know Netflix? You know how it's awesome? Well, this new service is called Turning Art, and it's essentially a Netflix-ish setup for artwork. You add prints to your queue, receive one and use it for a given period of time, and then send it back in exchange for a new print of your choice. You get to enjoy new pieces as often as you like. This is genius. Here are some of the pieces I would select.

Suspension by Rebecca Meredith

Orange Umbrella On St. Germain In The Paris Rain by Warren Keating

Rosrto de Mujer by Ruben Miranda

The Turning Art people have seriously thought of everything. 

"What about frames? Do I have to buy a new frame with each new print?" Nope. They're all the same size. And you get the frame as part of your subscription. 

"But my tastes in art are very specific. Will they have things I like?" Yes, they will. There's a huge variety of genres to meet everyone's desires, and the crew is intent on adding great new stuff all the time. 

"What if I receive something and love it so much that I never want to send it back, ever ever ever?" THIS IS THE BEST PART! If you want to keep one of the prints, you can buy it. The price of every piece is listed on the site. But here's the great thing: the amount you've paid to Turning Art up to that point is put toward the price of your print, meaning that if you've been paying $10 a month for 12 months, the price of your desired print will be $120 less than the price listed online. So cool.

Do I sound like I'm in sales here? I'm really not. This idea is just so great that I had to share. I'm adding this to the list of things that I'm doing when my husband and I move to our next place. Our current house has walls of solid brick and it's really tough to hang anything on them - annoying, but nothing to cry over.

What sort of artwork is hanging in your house? Do you like the idea of periodically changing it up in this area, or do you prefer to choose one thing and stick with it? I think I'd rather keep one piece if it had sentimental meaning for me, but otherwise, change would be really fun and invigorating.


6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea. I generally stick to things that have sentimental value, but I also really enjoy change in decor. THanks for posting about this. Really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to email this post to Neal because he was once planning an online art business, different than this, but the idea being to hook people up with good art. I like this idea, but I'm spoiled by having original works and could never go back to prints. And Neal is a total snob about prints, especially because he feels that there are so many young artists, students, etc. doing cool, original work that don't find a market for their pieces. He once wanted to be the person to change that. As for changing things up, personally, I get very attached, probably because my art pieces are all painted by my husband and sister-in-law. But Neal, he would love to change things up; he periodically wants to jettison all his old work and evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your magazine like pictures! they all look great!

    Babi
    http://whenbabispeaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah! I love this! The tunic and cardigan combination is just dreamy. I love the eclectic mix sooo much!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut